- There was a contract between two parties to transfer the licence for a taxi.
- The contract was breached and the taxi licence was not transferred.
- There were hardly any taxi licenses available so the Plaintiff tried to seek specific performance
- It was argued that damages were sufficient
- Roper, Rich & Stark J: The idea that chattels are not subject to specific performance have well known exceptions, such as a chattel of special, unique value. The taxi cab fits in this exception.
- Dixon, McTiernan J: As above, it does not need to be the only one, it just has to be rare
- The argument that the Court shouldn’t have to supervise it isn’t right as all they have to do is submit something to the Commissioner
Save this case