- Article 9 of the Kent or Romney Marsh Sheepbreeders’ Association’s Articles of Association stated that any disputes between the Association and a member should go to arbitration before court.
- Mr Hickman complained about the Association’s refusal to register his sheep in the “flock book”.
- He was under threat of being expelled – he commenced proceedings in the High Court.
- Was Hickman prevented by Article 9 from commencing court proceedings without prior arbitration?
- Hickman was restricted by Article 9 – he was contractually bound.
- The Articles of Association created a contract between members – Hickman was bound by its terms.
Save this case